TRF Home Page
Royal – Home Page

VSGH 1in By Sanchali Basu

HOUSTON:Joy of the Vedanta Society of Greater Houston (VSGH) devotees knew no bounds when Swami Sarvapriyananda was in their midst from January 17-19. Swami Sarvapriyananda is a dynamic young monk of the Ramakrishna Math. At present he is an acharya at the monastic probationers training centre at Belur Math. His interests are in the fields of spirituality, philosophy, management science and education. His reputation as a speaker preceded him and some of the youtube links to his lectures have drawn more than 350,000 hits.

His series of lectures began with, “Spiritualizing everyday life” on the evening of January 17 where he emphasized that by knowing the infinite being, one can transcend death and suffering. If one deifies the world, one has an uninterrupted vision of God. Once work is spiritualized, one can concentrate and meditate and, it is important to remember that “Work is Worship.”

The morning of January 18 was dedicated to the worship of Swami Vivekananda to commemorate his birthday. Sw. Sarvapriyananda performed the puja with extreme devotion and the devotees got to enjoy the melodious singing accompaniment by the VSGH choir. A delicious lunch followed and the perfect weather allowed the devotees to savor the food sitting outdoors on the verandah.

“Practical Vedanta” was the topic of the lecture the same afternoon, where he mentioned that the source of knowledge of the Upanishads is Vedanta. Vedanta has to enter every part of our lives, not just the spiritual and one has to elevate one’s life to the ideal and not drag the ideal down. He stressed that, “To labor is to pray, and having a goal in life is very important.”

Jan 19, Monday morning, he conducted a class on “The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna” where he discussed that one can purify the mind only through “Nishkama karma.” Then one can meditate on the eternal truth and Bhakti – the love for God overcomes worldly desires.

“Who am I,” concluded the first round of his series of  talks the same evening and drew a significant crowd considering it was a weekday evening. The central teaching of Advaita Vedanta that, “You are divine” was elaborated by quoting mahavakyas from the 4 Vedas and 4 Upanishads. 8 verses of the Panchadashi were used to explain Sat-chit-ananda, the definition of  Brahman (God). If chit (existence) is sat (an intrinsic property), ananda (bliss), the atma a continuous source of the greatest happiness will last forever.

The next series of lectures will restart on Friday, January 23 and will include a 4 session retreat on the text, “Drg, Drsya, Viveka,” and a lecture on, “Managing stress”

The main attraction of his 2 week visit will be the Youth Convention to be held at the center on January 24 from 1 -7:30 PM. A talk on “Education and Powers of Mind,” will be followed by an interactive group discussion session and a guided technique of concentration. A multimedia presentation contest by 2 youth groups will be judged by a panel of 3 judges. Prizes will be handed out at the end of the contest and dinner will be served. All information is available at www.houstonvedanta.org.

Digg This
Reddit This
Stumble Now!
Buzz This
Vote on DZone
Bookmark this on Delicious
Kick It on DotNetKicks.com
Shout it
Bookmark this on Technorati
Post on Twitter
Google Buzz (aka. Google Reader)

15 Responses to Enlightening Series of Lectures by Swami Sarvapriyananda, the Best is Yet to Come

1. Manicka Surendran April 4, 2018 at 3:05 am

Hari Aum Swamiji,

I am inspired by your talks in youtube.
    When I hear your talks the mind becomes silent in no time. How do i download your mp3 talks please. I would like to hear your talks again and again.

2. SUJIT BASU BHOWMIK March 9, 2018 at 2:17 pm

SINCE HIS STAYING IN KOLKATA I USED TO ATTEND HIS
    LECTURE THAT ARE VERY INSPIRING TO THE STUDENTS
    OF VEDANTA.WAITING FOR HIS ARRIVAL IN INDIA.

SUJIT BASU BHOWMIK
    KOLKATA
    09/03/2018

3. Neil Mulherkar October 9, 2016 at 12:23 pm

I have been listening to Swamiji’s Aparokshanubhuti till part 9 and I am desperately waiting for the parts to come. He explains all the concepts in a very simplified manner. Almost a lay person can grasp. Excellent work by him. Waiting for the lectures. 1 question. How can I contact swamiji? Please tell an email address on mobile number. Thanks.

4. Samir Kumar Das September 20, 2016 at 8:40 am

Actually I have learned and gathered experiences about material life and what should be goal in life from Swami Sarvapriyananda’s speech.

I think he is the mediator to upgrade human consciousness.

Cordially I love him.

5. SAILESWAR NAG August 26, 2016 at 11:33 am

pray blessing from swamiji

6. Sanghamitra lahiri May 24, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Thank u very much for the post.

7. geetha December 9, 2015 at 11:30 am

Feeling blessed to hear your talks. Thank you.

8. ram gopal bhala October 8, 2015 at 7:27 am

swamiji’s lectures are inspiring i have listened his discourse on geeta for students at iit kanpur as many as 20 times

9. Dr.S.Misra July 27, 2015 at 2:13 am

A prolific speaker.Whenever I get opportunity I hear his discourses and become refreshed.He is a true acharya.May Sri Sri Thakur,Ma & Swamiji shower Their choicest blessings on him.My humble prnam to him.

10. JHILAM SAHA July 24, 2015 at 8:51 am

Pranam Swamiji. I am moved by your lucid way of expressing vedantic philosophy. in one lecture in IIT kanpur you referred about one of Prof. Arindam chakraborty’s article on free will. I am keenly interested to have that one. would you please send me the copy/tag of that? Someday I want to meet you personally and receive further inspiration to move ahead on this path of self-realisation.

11. JHILAM SAHA July 24, 2015 at 8:43 am

Can i get swamiji’s e-mail I.D ?

12. Srinivasan Babu July 14, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Namaskara Swamiji, Your lectures are very inspiring. I have learnt a lot from them. Excellent for the learners and the learned.

13. mita ray January 25, 2015 at 12:55 am

Pranam Maharaj Ji, you are always a source of inspiration

14. Dr. Amit Majumder January 24, 2015 at 5:06 am

Since last 8 years or so I was mesmerised by the speeches of our Management Guru. His conceptual yet lucid rendition always used to touch our hearts. We used to cherish the moment at his series of lectures and visits at Swamiji’s ancestoral house. Jayatu RamKrishna,

15. Abhijit ghosh January 23, 2015 at 12:09 pm

Excellent teachingand waiting to hear more from swami