Indian-American Adoptive Father of Sherin Mathews Sentenced to Life by Dallas Court

DALLAS: Wesley Mathews, the Indian-American foster father accused of killing his 3-year-old daughter Sherin Mathews and dumping her body in a culvert in 2017, was sentenced to life by a Texas court judge on Wednesday, in a sensational case that attracted global attention.

Mathews, 39, pleaded guilty Monday to a lesser charge of injury to a child in Sherin’s death. He was originally charged with capital murder by authorities in Texas after they discovered Sherin’s highly decomposed body after a massive search that lasted 15 days.

Mathews, dressed in a light grey suit, stared ahead and did not look at jurors as Judge Amber Givens-Davis sentenced him to life in prison.

The 12-member jury deliberated Wednesday afternoon for about three hours before coming to a unanimous decision to give Mathews a sentence of life in the death of Sherin. He will be eligible for parole after 30 years’ imprisonment, US media reports said.

“Mr Matthews is obviously saddened by the verdict,” said his defense attorney Rafael De La Garza. “Anybody would be, but he knows the jury he respects the jury’s decision and he’s going to weigh out his options.”

Prosecutors argued that Mathews, hailing from Kerala, killed Sherin in October 2017. She was adopted by Mathews and his wife Sini Mathews from an orphanage in Bihar’s Nalanda district in 2016.

Mathews claimed that Sherin accidentally choked to death on milk. He initially told police that Sherin went missing on October 7, 2017, after he put her outside their home at 3 am in Richardson, Texas because she would not drink her milk. When he checked in on her 15 minutes later, Mathews said Sherin was missing.

He later admitted she died when he “physically assisted” her in drinking the milk and got chocked. Sherin’s badly decomposed body was found 15 days later in a culvert by a cadaver dog.
Reacting to the sentencing, Richardson Police tweeted that, “We feel justice has been served with today’s verdict of life in prison given to Wesley Mathews by a jury of his peers. “We would like to thank the law enforcement agencies and civilian partners for the resources and time spent on this case. We will always remember Sherin Mathews,” the police said.

Prosecutor Sherre Thomas argued that Mathews’ testimony was just another lie. She said testimony and medical records show that it was “medically impossible for a child who is 3 years old to stand up and choke to death” as Mathews claimed.

“It means he’s still a liar. It means he killed that little girl. And when he killed her, he panicked,” Thomas argued, WFAA TV reported. She said Mathews also took the time to clean up himself and turned off the location tracker on his phone to try to hide what he had done.

“There’s nothing left of her, her teeth had fallen out,” Thomas said. “He covered his crime. He got away with that.”

Speaking directly to Mathews, prosecutor Jason Fine said, “You told investigators Sherin’s death was a mistake but by your own words, you caused the death of your daughter and put her lifeless body in a a mistake, I call it murder.”

“Sherin’s little body was so badly decomposed, due to the actions of this defendant, the medical examiner could not determine an official cause of death which could have dramatically changed the way we were able to prosecute this case,” Fine told jurors.

While prosecutors asked the jury to hand down a life sentence, defence attorney De La Garza argued that Mathews was a good father who panicked when his daughter choked and did not call for help.

He argued that prosecutors could not prove that Mathews killed his child and said he was only guilty of not calling 911, the emergency helpline.

During closing arguments, De La Garza walked over to Mathews and placed his hands on his shoulders. “This is something he will live with for the rest of his life,” the attorney told the jurors.

After the verdict was read, De La Garza called the sentence “cruel and unusual punishment.”

On the witness stand during the sentencing trial, Mathews said he panicked after his daughter’s accidental death. He said he wrapped her body in a blue trash bag and dumped her in a culvert so she would be near the home.

Thomas argued that Sherin suffered abuse the entire time she lived in the US. Medical records show that she had five broken bones that were at various stages of healing.
Police charged Sherin’s foster mother Sini, a registered nurse, with child abandonment in November 2017, after her husband told officials the couple left the toddler alone the night of her death while they went to dinner with their biological daughter.

Sini’s case was dismissed in March this year after prosecutors said they could not prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. Sini sat in the courtroom during closing arguments on Wednesday.
After the judge read the sentence, she quickly left the courtroom without giving a comment to waiting reporters. She and Wesley Mathews were both arrested after Sherin’s body was found. The couple later lost custody of their biological daughter.

Sherin’s death attracted the attention of the Indian government and the then external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj took keen interest in the case and also instructed the Indian mission in Houston to make sure that the Indian toddler received justice.

India revoked the Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) immigration status of Wesley and Sini after Sherin’s death. The government further tightened the adoption process after Sherin’s tragic death. — Times of India